Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ragweed -- I Hate You

Allergies to ragweed and pollen haunt many of us, forcing us to look swollen, puffy, and somewhat poofy under the eyes that water and drip during the day. The ragweed season runs from early August until the frost -- never have I been so anxious for a heavy frost which will kill the little culprit that invades me. Last night a light frost hit, killing the last flowers of the season, damaging the ferns that will now die off, but allowing the mold and ragweed to flourish a bit longer.

Allegra helps, as does Allegra D or Zyrtec, I've tried them all. Now Verymist is the nasal spray of choice, claiming it will stop "runny, watery eyes" as well as constant "dripping" from the nose. Three days into it and I am somewhat better, though the Benedryl I just swallowed will add more relief and allow me to stop sneezing in front of a classroom full of college students.

A purse full of pink kleenex helps, but I have graduated to paper towels -- the heavy duty reuseable ones -- to catch the scum that drips from my nostrils. This is not pretty.

No comments: